Where do I find?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
FLYBLUE
Class G

Where do I find?

Post by FLYBLUE »

Curious to learn where I can find info on use of the 540 in the RV8?

Ben

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

The RV8 is set up for up to a 200 HP IO-360. If you are looking at placing a 540 in one, I would recommend getting in touch with the Harmon Rocket folks.. I'm sure someone is already doing it.
Golf Delta

Akroguy
Class G

Post by Akroguy »

It's been done, and it's a bad move. Throws wt/bal all to hell, wastes too much useful load, burns too much fuel, and can tweak the gear legs if not beefed or replaced with stronger gear. The F1 Rocket is the way to go if you want to go with a six banger on an RV type two seater. The airplane is superbly designed. It resembles a Van's RV only in outward appearance. It's really a total redesign with roots based on the RV4.

Brian
RV8 N94BD, five years of RV grins. RV-10 underway.

GeorgeL
Class G

540 power

Post by GeorgeL »

Fly Blue, Look up a guy near Shelbyville, IN, John Marshall has had several RV8/540s to his resume. Damn good craftsman. wght+bal, gear/ eng mount, oil filter, battery placement, all addressed. 900+ mi trip to Sun n fun 540 vs 360 side by side. 6 cycl used less fuel.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

They call them "Super 8's". They also offer "Super 7" plans as well. I considered it, for about a minute.

Here is an FAQ link:

http://www2.mstewart.net:8080/super8/faq.htm

Hope this helps.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

GeorgeL
Class G

Super 8

Post by GeorgeL »

Now that's a darn good relpy, Nicely done "Capt. John!"

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Now help with this one... He is actally boasting cruise speeds over Vne... :?

What am I missing here? It sounds like it would be GREAT until the first 30kts puff aloft tears my wing off! Did I read this right?

Thoughts?!?

- Peter

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

That is one of the reason's Van does not support the upgrades. Harmon does increase some of the skins, don't know about the "super" designs. But, homebuilders will be homebuilders....
Golf Delta

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

I looked into it. The rocket guys use additional wing ribs (only 2 or3 more), shorten the wing a foot or so, one-piece skins on the leading edge of the wings. Increase the skin thickness on the fuse and tail (the biggest weakness for acro is the tail supposedly...), and new gear so the longer prop won't hit the ground :roll: I am sure the O-540 will pin your head to the rest on take off.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

aerial - Thanks for digging that up!

I believe the IO-360 will pin my head just fine! :mrgreen:

I'll leave the Vne experiments to those that like to fly sitting on a parachute. My theory (at least currently) is if I want a faster plane, I'll build one...which now that I think about it, it exactly what I'm doing with the RV-7 vs. my Arrow!

I guess then decision becomes how far to you take it? Move up to a Rocket and you're not that far from a Legacy. Move up to a Legacy and you're not that far from...

I'm building a 7 and I'm sure I'll love it!

- Peter

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I agree totaly. Anyone who doesn't think a 360 can pin your head back I'll take for a ride. I've got a buddy here at my work who rides and races street bikes. He always talked about how fast he can get up to speed on his motercycle and joked about raceing me down a runway. Of course I told him I didn't really care how fast he can get from 0 to 100.

I took him for a ride a few weeks back. After we got back he just sat there and looked at the plane. Then he commented how there was no way he could get to 80 or 100 mph as fast as we did in the plane. I usally rotate at about 60 to 65 indicated. On average I would guess I use about 600 to 800 feet of runway. It is a great ride!! Keep building, you will soon find out!!
Golf Delta

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

728GD - That's one of the things I'm really looking forward to in the RV is sharing the experience! It's nice to know that you can impress a super biker!

Did you have him inverted or was it just the fact that he couldn't lean forward to touch the pannel during take off?!? :evil:

- Peter

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

No, I didn't go inverted but we did go a full 90 bank. We were orbiting his house so he could take some pictures from the air and when we were heading back to the airport he was commenting on pulling g's and how steep we were banking. He said it felt like we were knife edge, had to tell him we were really maybe 60 degs at the most. He then make the comment, "I wonder what it would feel like at 90?" Say no more.... I remember hearing a gurggling sound from him at about 4 g's.

He loved it, although it did take a few moments for his body to catch up with his head. I don't generally do anything agressive in the plane when I have a passenger, but he is used to speed, banking, and g's so he was the exception.
Golf Delta

Post by Guest »

:lmao: "...a gurggling sound!!!" - I LOVE IT!!! GOOD STUFF!!!

4G's is probably more than I have ever experienced and certainly more than I've ever pulled!

Has he started his private yet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

- Peter

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Oops - Forgot to log in again... :bang:

- Peter

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Back to the original topic, I have a friend with a Rocket using the IO540. I asked him how he liked it the other day while visiting to borrow some rivets. Six months ago he was raving about it and telling me of a speed run to 350 mph indicated. His latest answer was a surprise. He told me that he was no longer enjoying it as much as he thought he would. He said that the huge weight up front was real detriment to the flying qualities that he enjoyed so much in the RV. (He has built six of them now.) He mentioned things like being wary of using a little too much brake on landing and nose-over tendencies etc. In short, I got the feeling that the performance qualities of the 540 were more than offset by the detrimental effect of the huge lump of steel in the cowling that ruled the aircraft in feel and handling.

My opinion on the Super 8 is: Don't bother. If you want a Rocket, go build one. If you want an "8" build that and be happy. Don't try to make a Rocket out of an "8".

Go read the article in the RVator about putting a bigger engine in the "9". In particular, examine the stress/speed graph very closely. Apply this graph to your RV-8 using higher numbers. Now think about cruising at 225 in your RV-8 and hitting unexpected turbulence of a 50 fps gust. Hey! You just bent your new airplane! Congratulations! You exceeded the Gee limits of your plane and guess what? It bent! If you think you can predict when you will hit the clear air turbulence that can bend your aircraft, dream on. I've spent a lifetime of flying people around in airplanes. You never know when you will get that big hit. But you will. And if you happen to be cruising at 225 in your RV-8 when you run into that gust...... well, just think about those puny little angle brackets that you bent for the forward spar joiners of the Horizontal Stab. That's enough to get my pucker factor into the red zone!
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I think I will be happy with my 180 hp IO360 in my 8. :)
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

What exactly is the difference between an IO-360 making 180 hosses compared to one making 200, besides 20 hp?

I mean, what makes the engines different?

:? CJ
RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

CJ,
The difference is the 180 hp is a parallel valve engine and weights about 300 lbs. the 200 hp is an angle valve engine and weights about 330 lbs. So the 180 hp engine is lighter. I am connecting it to a WW 200RV prop and we will see if the speed is much different. i'll have the numbers when I get it flying sometime in the spring.
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool, I am quite interested as I plan on going 200 hp and CS Prop os some type. WW is a fine choice!

Lemme know how it goes!

Good luck!

:) CJ
RV-7