Improperly bent wing spars

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
airguy
Class E

Improperly bent wing spars

Post by airguy »

Did anyone else here on RB get a notice from Vans about improperly bent wing spars (slow build kits only)?

I have a set that are improperly bent, Vans has now 'fessed up and said that some kits that shipped between 1-1-08 and 08-01-08 could have the angles on the top/bottom flanges of the wing spars reversed - like the operator put the spar in the press backward, essentially (insert politically incorrect comment of choice about foreign labor here). They included a diagram with the correct angles shown, and said if yours are incorrect to "Contact Vans Aircraft."

While I'm a little cheesed about the whole deal, I'm impressed that Vans is stepping up, admitting the problem relatively quickly, and appears to be willing to work with the consumer to fix it. I know of two builders who received exchanged wing spars free of charge so far, before the pseudo-recall was announced. I'm at a relatively easy point of backing up and changing spars, I haven't riveted on any of the skins yet and only need to drill out the rib rivets, so it's not likely to cause me a substantial delay. In fact, it will save me some shipping for a whole host of other items I'm about to order from Vans, but that is just good luck with timing.

Anyone else affected by this?
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll:

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

if you get vans to throw in other stuff and not charge you i will be impressed. ive asked that twice and somehow they threw theirs in with mine. :o
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Vans is generally very good about fixing their mistakes. If you get free shipping on the other things though I will be impressed.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jwyatt
Class G

Post by jwyatt »

I haven't received the notice yet, but I definitely have the problem (I think you've seen my thread on the subject on the other forum). I emailed Van's with my information & photos last weekend, and on Monday (a week ago) they asked me to send the spar numbers because they would "like to try to isolate the problem and determine how many sets were bent incorrectly." I replied with the numbers, but haven't heard anything back yet about my case. I guess I'll shoot them an email when the notice arrives, if I don't hear anything beforehand.

I'm definitely watching to see how this goes for others. I think the ideal solution would be spar replacement; I don't have faith that I can do a decent enough job bending them here to be satisfied with the result.
Joshua Wyatt | Vasa, Minn.
RV-9A N627DW @ KRGK
Flying: Phase I complete
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com

jwyatt
Class G

yikes

Post by jwyatt »

I sent a follow-up email to Van's Monday evening after receiving the official notice on this problem. They recommended I try the 2x4 flange-bending method from the RVator article. Not being completely satisfied with this solution, I inquired today about replacement spars.

The word is that it's "definitely possible," but the estimated lead time would be 3-4 months. Wow. Now I'm not sure what to do, as I had plans to get to work on the wings and be ready for the fuselage next spring. I guess I expected this to move a bit quicker. The lead on a regular wing order is only 8 weeks...
RV-9A N627DW @ KRGK
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com

weezbad
Class C

Re: yikes

Post by weezbad »

jwyatt wrote: They recommended I try the 2x4 flange-bending method from the RVator article.
in my best " office space " voice... mmmmmm, yeah , right, uhhhh thats not gonna be good for me, im gonna need ya to send me those spars on saturday. :lol: :lol: good luck. if you feel you can bend them go ahead, but man that sounds kinda undesireable. i would only do it if it meant they would replace the wing kit less l/e and fuel tanks when i got down to the last row of holes on riveting the skin and the holes did'nt line up. but who wants to build two sets of wings.:x :x if its as simple as clamping and moving them around a bit then its probally not to bad. but it does sound a little intimidating. hey if a 7 spar will work do the left one first as i have a spare you can get cheap. :evil:

jwyatt
Class G

Post by jwyatt »

weezbad wrote:but who wants to build two sets of wings.:x :x
Exactly... I thought, too, that I had read somewhere that the guy in the RVator article later had his own regrets about bending them instead of having them replaced. Of course, I can't find that now...maybe it was a dream.

I asked about the reason for the delay and they say that demand has them at capacity, and that 12 weeks lead is more common than not.

Question for those who have gone before: Any reason I couldn't build LE, tanks, flaps & ailerons while I wait for new spars? Is there anything that would cause a problem from taking the assemblies out of order? Seems like the largest body of work is in all the "pieces" that bolt onto the main structure.
RV-9A N627DW @ KRGK
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

you would be good to build the flaps and ailerons but the l/e and tanks need to be match drilled.otherwise you could end up off a touch. the match hole stuff is incredibly accuarate however and would likely be fine built seperate. your chance to take. :?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I agree with the above. You might could do the LE's but I wouldn't even think about the tanks.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jwyatt
Class G

Post by jwyatt »

Thanks for the advice, guys. Replacement spars are on order from Van's (at no charge); the latest estimate is 1-3 months, so hopefully I'll see them in time for Christmas. :roll: The plan is to go ahead with ailerons & flaps (back to deburring...just when I thought I had a break for awhile!). I should be able to get all the ribs prepped & primed too, so things ought to go together fairly easily once the spars arrive.

The adventure continues...
RV-9A N627DW @ KRGK
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com