A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
cockpit and baggage area ready to go. moving on to the engine. no concerns there but it will get a new air filter........each 500 hrs.
1000 hrs.... filter box is pristine, and I mean pristine! deflection at the upper end of the carb arm is .025 max. just like new. I do nothing.
Last edited by A2022 on Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
gets a new carb heat scat tube. put the filter on dry and lube it later because of the silicone fill. carb heat mechanism, same as new, nothing required. the filter rubber was hard at 500 hrs. but AT205 may have rejuvenated it... running a test. edit, nope AT205 on the filter is not worth it, throw the old filter away.
Last edited by A2022 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
some AT205 to rejuvenate all the rubber. 10 yr old baffle seals good as new. no need to replace. I am amazed at how little maintenance is needed. nothing!
because of the silicone fill I installed this filter dry. I have found that shooting oil to the filter thru the inlet covers it well.
shot the oil on the new air filter after the silicon dried. blew the oil around and out with compressed air. over time the oil will migrate around and cover the entire filter. this is the method I use to both clean and oil the filter.
wheel inspection. looking good except for some screw attachments to the main wheel fairings. I am going to repair those and strengthen the glass around the holes, but not bad for 1000 hrs. I dropped a bike with the rope pully so my daughter could ride around the airport with me. very easy to bring one down.
1000 hrs on carb heat scat tube. evidence of air flowing even though my system is closed and does not have a vent riser. the dirtier side is the airbox side. the dirty buildup is primarily on the fwd side of the scat tubing so that suggests air is back flowing during cruise. that makes sense because while my flapper door is flush, it is not airtight. I get 40 RPM reduction when I pull the carb heat on runup.
wheel pants refurbish..... some were worse than I thought. 10 plies at the screw locations, hey, I only want to do this once. burn the urethane paint in with toluene, you will never see the repair. a quick job, almost more time to post it than to do it.
wheel pants..... inside 10 plies cured, then grinding back to the outside where the glass was torn. applied fiber circles / shapes to fill the divot. I didn't have any peel ply so I used wax paper. I recommend peel ply for the final topping to smooth the finish but this will be ground down anyway with a wiz wheel. I used 6 plies on the outside divots. interestingly, the wheel pants failed at the inside bracket contacts, the outside bracket contacts were fine.
clean up the outer glass to contour and drilled four injection holes for exopy/flox/cabosiil mixed like peanut butter. injected, cleaned and now let it set for 24 hrs. I applied about 3 cc to each hole because this was a pretty big gap but not as big as before with 10 more big patch plies on the inside. I was working blind because these are finished pants and in the original unfinished condition, I could actually see the resin spread against the bracket thru the pant. so, I may have made a mess inside, but any overage can be removed. I primarily looked for resin to come out of an adjacent hole as I injected. magnet trick worked well to find blind hole center. I made 2 of 3 perfect. the outside of the wheel pant doesn't look bad so since I'm traveling next week, I'll just spray the inside repair area with spray paint and do a proper paint repair in the Winter. wash the spray paint with acetone to remove. acetone does not affect the acrylic urethane. I used acetone to clean the epoxy from the pant. all in all, not a troublesome job. 10 plies on the inner, wait for cure (24 hrs), 6 plies on the outer divots, wait for cure, inject peanut butter for potting the brackets, wait for cure..... a lot of time waiting. hopefully, the epoxy will release from the vinyl tape with hairspray.
day 4 after final cure of the peanut butter epoxy injection..... it was ugly, I knew I injected too much but I didn't want to do it again... 3 cc for each hole, next time 1 cc per hole, but hopefully, there is not a next time. cleaned it up and applied some rattle can spray paint as a temporary. it doesn't look to bad. I did notice on my check flight that the right hand side wing to fuse rubber gasket had come loose in the middle (it was still attached at the trailing edge) and was making some noise in flight, so it pulled it back a little more at the trailing edge and glued it again. I've don't cut it any more I just pull it back and re-glue it at the trailing edge. I included some photos of the old potting compound on the outside contacts, they are doing fine. I am really pleased with the wheel pant repair. I think it will be fine for a long time. headed for Kansas next and will watch for tornados. condition inspection complete, time to roll West of the Mississippi.