horizontal induction in RV-9?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
Joe Casey
Class G

horizontal induction in RV-9?

Post by Joe Casey »

I am interested in putting horizontal induction on my RV-9, and have run into a hornets nest of problems.... I had planned on using the tried and true IO-320, but the first problem encountered was, that Van's does not sell a FWF kit for an easy intstallation... second issue was the exhaust... Vetterman says he could accomodate but it gets more expensive...
My question to the forum is, would an IO-360 setup (as in the RV-7) be an option, or are there other bigger probs such as weight, tail size/skin issues, g loads, cowl fit probs, etc. etc.
TIA Joe Casey

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe, Van's FWF kit isn't always what everyone uses entirely right down to the last rivet.

Many people don't even buy one. Paul Trotter found that after he had done the math, it wasn't even worth it after deletions and changes.

Paul, what is your scoop again?

Having said that, if you want to go IO-320 (btw, I like the way you think) buy the horizontal intake from your engine manufacturer or whomever and go for it.

As for an exhaust, these guys come highly recommended and can do anything you ask.

http://www.awi-ami.com/

...and all the little doo dads are off the shelf items. Use the Van's item list and choose your vendor. Maybe it will be Van after some simple math.

Bottom line is, traditionally Van sold simple kits. He grew because the kits were complete, well documented and nice flying aircraft. He needed more revenue as most companies do so he added other stuff to the catalog. Engines, FWF kits, seats and seat belts and now all these nice little trinkets that are there like baggage tie downs and stickers.

The FWF kit is good and includes most of the common items that most people need.

Personally, I am going "ala-carte" with mine. I have already been accruing items from the FWF kit and may just continue to do so. I am building a custom RV and this is all part of it for me.

Hope this helps!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

CJ, what sort of items are you accruing? I would like ot start picking up some stuff and just have not decided where to start. Any ideas would be be helpful. Will Van's provide the list of parts in their FWF kit? That would help I guess.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hey John, you can get a FWF list faxed or emailed right to you from Van's. I'd send you mine, but it's for an O-320. They send 'em out to whomever asks for them.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

John, I have the spinner, prop governor, stainless steel heater box, throttle quadrant and I dunno what else off the top of my head.

I also plan on increasing the size of the oil cooler (non standard Van's part because I am doing the 390). There are the engine mounts because the OEM Van's ones are supposed to inhale vigorously. My Airflow Performance fuel injection stuff will be fairly custom as well.Seeing as though I am using the throttle quad, Airflow Performance and a 390, the standard length cables are out the window to boot. I am not sure exactly what that will entail, but a return line is going to be part of it.

I can't recall what else sitting here in my living room. I think Mike Bullock has the itemized list from Van somewhere. Maybe he could post it?

8) CJ
RV-7

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I am just completing my RV-6A and I did not purchase the firewall forward kit from Vans. I did purchase an Oil Cooler, oil cooler hoses, the baffle kit, ignition switch/starter and the air filter kit. I acquired a Van's Gascolator with a fuel line hose from Wentworth Avivation in Minneapolis and had the second fuel line made. I also puchsed a number of fitting from Wicks Aircraft on an as needed basis. I have not spent nearly as much as a firewall forward kit lists for. I would go that way again if I were to build another airplane. :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bob, which way do you mean? Could you clarify?

I agree with the hoses. I will make all mine locally as well. I think I can do a more precise job here at the FBO and in partnership with Wicked Stick.

RV-7

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I would not purchase a firewall forward kit from Vans. I have nothing against their kit but I think most builders will have so many variations on their installation that you end up probably spending more with the FWFD kit. I haven't kept real accurate track but I know I spent less this way.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yup! That is what I thought you meant.

I just wanted others to understand it clearly.

I agree entirely!

Thanks!

RV-7

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

captain_john wrote: I can't recall what else sitting here in my living room. I think Mike Bullock has the itemized list from Van somewhere. Maybe he could post it?
I lucked out because my FWF kit contents was posted on the Van's website - the O-360. But I did get advice from Van's email support as to what to add and delete to modify the kit for a vertical induction IO-360. I ended up deleting about 12 items from my kit, everything from the gascolator, engine mounts, exhaust, heater vent and a bunch of other things that I had or wanted something different than what came in the kit. It wasn't a big deal at all to slim down the FWF kit as much as I did, the person at Van's was very accommodating to the changes. I haven't received the invoice, so I don't know if there is any price advantage to doing it this way (I will update this thread with my findings), but I figured I would save all the little handling fees and extra UPS fees that would of been tacked on anyways.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS