inboard fuel tank attach angle/bracket

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
Joe Parish
Class D

inboard fuel tank attach angle/bracket

Post by Joe Parish »

Before I riveted the ribs on I attached the 3 platenuts on each spar for the inboard most fuel tank attach bracket. I thought it was a good idea at the time. I now need to match drill the three holes in the inboard bracket thru the three spar holes I have platenuts on. Do I drill out the platenuts and reattach or try to do a drill bushing thru the .140 thousandths hole in the platenut and then drill it to final size off the spar? What do you think? The platenut rivets were not much fun even before the ribs were on. Open to suggestions. Just thought I would ask.

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

cbkillion
Class G

Post by cbkillion »

I just did this a few days ago. While it's a tight squeeze for your hand, the rivet gun with a back riveting set will slide right in between the ribs and does a wonderful job. It'd be pretty easy to drill those rivets out, match drill, then reset the nutplates.

If you are really against drilling these out, you could very precisely measure where the hole should be in the Z bracket and then use a drill press to make the holes. This leads to the possibility of misaligned holes but if you are careful it probably wouldn't be by much.
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

My opinion would be to drill them out. Thats not as painful as getting the holes wrong on the bracket at which time it will be a real pain in the butt.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Drill the plate nuts out. Sounds harder, but you'll be glad you did it that way versus risking misaligned holes, or a mucked up plate nut.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I drilled one rivet out of each platenut and was able to turn it out of the way with my fingers. I was wondering this morning if that might work? I honestly was surprised I was able to turn it with two fingers. My plan was to drill out one rivet and if it would not turn with my fingers, I would then drill both rivets out. The rivet spins with the platenut which seems to make sense when I think about it. I knew I needed to drill at least one out of each platenut but I was considering the other option. I think I knew what the consensus would be before I asked?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I don't see any problem with this approach Joe.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

It sounds like that could work for you. Go for it!