Riveting leading edge to spar

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
Joe Parish
Class D

Riveting leading edge to spar

Post by Joe Parish »

I have one rib and just a few rivets in two others that I really can't buck so I am wondering if anyone knows what blind rivet Vans would approve of? Did everyone else get all solid rivets?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I at first thought I would just put pull rivets in there, but I started bucking as many rivets as I could do solo, then got my kid to come out and help get that one rib that is really hard to get to (the lightening access holes in the spar get too small). I ended up getting all of them bucked with solid rivets.

If you can't buck them, then put some LP4-3's in there. Van's approves this, but you should verify just the same.

Good luck with your project.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I will call them tomorrow and check. The third rib over from the fuel tank I cannot reach, well I can touch it with my fingers but could not buck it. Having to drive the rivet from the bottom of the spar with the thinner material being on the top, as the rivet expands it wants to force a gap between the rib and spar. I have had help with the rest and needed to hold the bucking bar with one hand and the other to hold the tip of a flat screw driver taped up on the rib flange close to the rivet being bucked to eliminate the gap. So I could probably buck it but I am sure the rivet would create a gap between the rib and spar at the rivet. On others I had two pieces of aluminum rubber banded to my bucking bar, one on each side kinda like legs and would put pressure on all three while my friend ran the gun and it worked well to keep the rib flange flat against the spar while the rivet expanded but I am unable to do that with that rib. To hard to reach. Thanks Bruce, I was thinking the same rivets you suggested but will check with Vans.
The fib flanges were all square and sitting flat on the spar. I think blind rivets would be better than solid rivets that force the rib flange and spar apart with no way for me to prevent it.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A