Engines

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
acwrench
Class G

engines(assembly)

Post by acwrench »

Ok, so we decide to buy a run out and overhaul it ourselves! what are the resources like as far as Parts and Overhaul Manuals, or even spare parts for that matter? Can the average joe do this in his garage somewhere off the Alaska Hi-Way? This is part of the package of building your own and half the battle is the decision to do it! But what about the resources!

Pat :o

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I decided long ago not to buy a run out engine and rebuild. I actually have a run out 320 sitting in my hanger. Time and especially money I feel are saved by using new parts from the ground up. If it wasn't available for me to obtain the kit I would go with an engine from Aero Sport Power or another such supplier. The assembly manual used is published by Lycoming and they are easy enough to get.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

If you rebuild a run out engine, you must remember you need to magnaflux all steel parts and dye check all aluminum parts. That includes the case. How many hours are on the case? Less than 3,000? probably not. What if the case has cracks form long use? What will a new case cost? All parts are available from ECI or Superior. But if you run into a bigger problem,---like the case is cracked or the sump has problems, then you are better off with a new engine. I think that the ECI kits are a good buy as they are all FAA-PMA approved and in many cases better quality than Lycoming.
I opted for Barts' experience and reputation and I am not dissapointed.
Dan

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Today has been quite a day. Prepared with my little list of must have items and ready to place an order the final tally just about choked me. While still far less than buying an engine from Lycoming, and if that were the only choice I'd for sure have placed the order, and somewhat less than buying an engine from Aero Sport. Arguably apples to apples though I'm sure Lycoming wouldn't agree. My savings to build my own engine just don't impress me at this point. Compared to buying an engine from Aero Sport which costs in the range of 8 to 10% more than a kit. I don't feel that's enough to warrant taking my attention off of building the plane. Well maybe :bang: . I'm having more numbers crunched but Aero Sport keeps looking better and better all the time.

acwrench
Class G

engines

Post by acwrench »

well I guess the worst case scenario is putting all the parts on a greyhound heading to aero sport. at least the fun of tearing it apart was there!

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

I bought a CD from Mahlon of Mattituck at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. I think they still sell them. It's title, "SKYWARD TECH, INC. presents AIRCRAFT ENGINE REBUILDING SERIES LYCOMING O-320" and I know they have them for the 360 also.

If you sit in at Oshkosh you can watch them rebuild an entire O-360 and ask as many questions as you like. If you have an engine you want to rebuild they will inspect/test/fix the cases, crank, etc., sell you the parts you need, then you can build it in their shop under their expert eye. (At least they offered this at the time unless things have changed.)
Duane Cole T-cart 0-320 Full Inverted

acwrench
Class G

engines

Post by acwrench »

That's a good piece of info. As it turns out the video(dvd) is still available at Aircraft Spruce. So that's on the Xmas wish list for next year. Thanks
Pat

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Here's a page I found interesting tonight.

http://www.vansairforce.net/eci/FlashEngine.htm

I ordered an engine kit this afternoon. I have one detail to check on in the morning and if that is as it should be I'll be sending my check off.

acwrench
Class G

engines (stand)

Post by acwrench »

does anyone out there have a good picture or plan for an engine stand?
the engine page shows a lot of detail!!

Pat

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

It's not a set of plans but it's a pretty good picture. A local welder is building me one of this style. I like it better than a tripod cause it looks easy to wheel around.

P.S. I totally lifted this pic. from Eagle Engines web site.

Bob Barrett
Class C

Engine Stand Cheap

Post by Bob Barrett »

My engine stand is simply an old steel wheel rim from a car. It has a piece of two and half inch steel pipe welded to the center of the wheel rim with a flat piece of 1/4" square steel plate large enough to drill 4 to 6 holes to fit the crankshaft flange. It doesn't roll around but you are tripping over it either. It is not fancy but it sure worked for me and I am going to give it to an engine rebuilder who prefers that type. He has seven stands already and can use another one or two.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Do you have a picture of that ? It sounds like a great idea.

Bob Barrett
Class C

Engine Stand

Post by Bob Barrett »

At the present time I don't have one. We recently purchased a digital camera and I will try to take a picture and send it out in the next day or two. We are prone to a lot of operator error on things like that in our household. My wife wants me to load the software on the computer so maybe we can try to get that done in the next day or two.