Carby or Injectors

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Carby or Injectors

Post by cjensen »

Time for a friendly argument...

Is the extra weight of the FI worth it? I don't operate LOP in any airplane that I fly, so that ability doesn't amount to much for me.

Anybody know if the 390 or 400 will be offered with a carb since they are low compression engines?

No hot start problems with the carb, no vapor lock problems (if operating on auto gas), easy and simple start, and lighter. What else?

FI's are generally more efficient, do have the ability to run LOP, and no carb ice worries. What else?

FI's faster?? Maybe, depends on the setup. They are heavier, no doubt, but does the higher hp capability outwiegh the wieght penalty?

Hmmmm :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

For some, the fact that the carb doesn't play well inverted makes a difference as well.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, I can tell you this much... I am going fuelie!

Why, you may ask? The reason is a simple one. I WANT IT! Just like the reason for the C/S prop. I want it!

This is a decision of wants, not needs or finances.

Of course, your decision determines your useage and performance criteria.

What do you want in an airplane?

With regards to the big bores being offered in carbed versions... I suppose it is possible. I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't do it. It is just that no one has done it to my knowledge. It should be no big deal.

All things being equal, it should only lose about 20 HP given the differences in the small bore fours with and without fuelie... I guess!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:This is a decision of wants, not needs or finances.
Whoa! Speak for yourself moneybags! :wink: :)
captain_john wrote:What do you want in an airplane?

All things being equal, it should only lose about 20 HP given the differences in the small bore fours with and without fuelie... I guess!

:) CJ

Well, I want a reasonably fast airplane, that's easy on the wallet (to build and fly), and looks as good or better than anything else out there!

I would guess about 20hp as well. 190hp out of a lightweight low compression big bore with a carb ain't bad at all!! 8)

Plus, I dig the look of the cowl with the snorkel under it! :luv: :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

aparchment
Class C

IFR consideration

Post by aparchment »

Chad:

Here are two IFR safety considerations for you:

1) if you are going to spend any time schlepping around in the clouds, it would be nice not to worry about carb icing

2) carb heat is one more thing to add to your checklist when you are getting ready to shoot an approach. Yeah, it's probably not a big deal considering most of us probably do it as a matter of course, but I am looking for ways to reduce my workload when I am single pilot IFR.

Antony

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I thought of that too Antony. However, for now, mine will be a night VFR airplane, and I won't even think of flying one of these in the soup without an AP on board. They are just not stable IFR platforms, and are too quick on the controls. I've flown a few cross country trips now in an RV-7, and for VFR flying, I think they are quite pleasant, and an AP isn't necessary right now...for me anyway.

I've owned two Cherokees in the past, both were carbed of course. I did all kinds of IFR flying in those airplanes, and only had carb ice creep up on me twice (once in each airplane). As long as it's suspected all the time, it's always on your mind, and you're watching for it. Flip the carb heat on, and watch the rpm's go down then back up.

Whoa, that was totally not meant as a lame a$$ lesson on IFR with a carb, or a preach on how I can fly IFR with a carb...sorry :oops:

You are right though, that it is one less thing to worry about on a single pilot approach.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support