0-320-b2c

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
Ron
Class E

0-320-b2c

Post by Ron »

Hi all'
I have located a 0-320-b2c that was in a helicopter. Do you know anything about this engine model and it's suitability for the rv? Thank's Ron

heli-wrench

Post by heli-wrench »

I'm going to guess that your engine came from a Robinson R22. It is an O-320 much like many others. It has a straight mount, not a dyna-focal. One question I would ask, is why was it removed? R22s have a 12 year inspection or 2200 hr overhaul. At that point the whole helicopter is gone over with a fine tooth comb. Was the helicopter in a crash? If so, I would suggest an Overhaul of the engine. It's going to cost you some bucks, but if there is case damage that is not visable right away, it may be money well spent.

The other thing I would have the engine checked for is overspeed. There are two types of helicopters: Those that have been oversped, and those that will be oversped. An over speed can play havoc with main-bearings, accessory gears, cams, oil-pumps, and mags. Basicaly anything that is turning or moving.

Hopefully I haven't scared you too much. For the most part, because Robinson Derates their engine installations (the engine makes X Hp, but you can only get X-15Hp) they usualy make 2200 hrs without a hitch.

Good Luck!

Allister.

RV6junkie
Class G

Post by RV6junkie »

there shouldn't be many issues with that engine during a rebuild. The cam profile of a helicoper engine is different, but that is changed during the rebuild.
Gary
RV-6
Started 1989
Completed/Flown 1995