fuel burns

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
Tom Harp
Class G

fuel burns

Post by Tom Harp »

Anybody out there currently flying behind a 160 hp 0-320(high comp)?
I'm interested in knowing some average fuel burns you may be getting to compare with.
Thanks..blessings
Tom

Bob Barrett
Class C

Thats The Engine Como I am Installing

Post by Bob Barrett »

I am in the process of installing the baffeling on my my 0-320 160 HP on an RV-6A. Unfortunately it will be a while before it is flying. I had a friend with one and his fuel burn was not excessive but he no longer has the airplane. Do you have yours flying now? If so I would be interested in learning what your fuel burn and airspeed are? I use to rent a Cessna-172 that had my engine in it. Unfortunately another renter had an accident with the 172 and it was totaled. I bought the engine and rebuilt it. In the 172 I would burn 6-7 gallons an hour. Speed of course was not real good.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I concur...

Yesterday I was flying a 172 and I flew it through it's paces, a few climbs, some 2500 RPM straight and level and some 2200 RPM slow cruise.

I flew for precisely one hour and topped off the tanks upon my return to the port. It came to exactly 6.65 gallons.

Now, with that said... Wicked Stick just last night told me that the -4 he is flying is using equally as little fuel and he is thrilled. It is a 320 with a wooden airscrew.

Does that help?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Tom,

My RV-4 with 160hp and fixed pitched wood prop:

IPT direct to EWB... under 2 hours flying at 9,500 and used only 12.5 gallons

I was cruising at about 2,300 rpm with a fix pitch wood prop and taking advantage of a nice tail wind home. (170 kts)

I generally see an average fuel flow of 11.5 gallons/hour at sea level when throttled up to 2,600 rpm, but I can cruise at 2,300 rpm an lean it out and get about 6.5 to 7 gallons/hour depending on how high I fly.

I usually flight plan for 135 kts and 8 gal/hour and that leaves me with plenty of wiggle room for safety. Your mileage may vary depending on airframe/aircraft, and how conservative or aggresive you lean it.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I usually burn about 7.5 gal / hour at sea level but I'm sloppy with the mixture.

At alt it's a little under 7 gph, again sloppy mixture technique.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I fly an O-320 E2D with the 160HP RAM STC on my Cessna. I cruise at ~2500 RPM and with appropriate leaning, I very consistently get 8.5 gallons per tach hour.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Tom Harp
Class G

fuel burn

Post by Tom Harp »

Thanks to all for the good info.....all I've done so far is local buzzing around, but hope to get some "real" tripping done before too long. My partner thought we were burning around 10GPH, but hopefully we can do better than that.
Thanks guys
Tom