Superior Build School

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
4kilo
RB's First

Superior Build School

Post by 4kilo »

I decided a while ago to attend the engine build school at Superior Air Parts. This program allows you to build your own engine under the supervision of the Superior staff. Last week I got to build my engine.

You start with this:

And three days later you end up with this:

You can see some more pictures here: http://napwars.com/RV-8HTML/PowerPlant.htm

I had a blast, and learned a tremendous amount about my engine, which was the real point of the exercise.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Looks great. Three days is a heck of a lot better than what I did. I'm still waiting to finish the fuel line and attach the mags. I think building your own no matter how you do it (class or not) is the way to go.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Really cool...

I hope to attend another session at Mattituck. They are holding one this December, but I have yet to confirm.

Anyone else going?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Cost

Post by bmurrish »

Pat,

Do you have a breakdown of what your engine cost and then how much the class was? I am planning on the 180hp IO-360.

Thanks,
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Bill,

Obviously, the pricing depends heavily on what options you wish to put on the engine. The best way to determine what the engine you want will cost is to use Superior's "Build an engine on-line" page at http://www.xp-360.com/buildOnline.asp

Click the "Go" button at the bottom of the page, and the system will walk you through all of the options.

Once you have figured out everything you want, try talking to Superior, as they often have some discounts available (I got the Oshkosh discount even though I didn't even make it to Osh).

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:Really cool...

I hope to attend another session at Mattituck. They are holding one this December, but I have yet to confirm.

Anyone else going?

:? CJ
Is that gonna be out east again CJ?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I am leaning toward going to one of those type of classes, glad to hear you felt it was worth it. I find it is a whole lot easier to forget things I have been taught that I don't need, than learn things I have never known, and one can never know too much about their airplane.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Thanks for sharing that with us! I've already decided on a Superior engine when it's time but I was on the fence as far as the build school goes. I may sign up for it after all. Do you think it was worth the extra money? Was there a manual or instructions for building up your engine? If so were you able to take it with you? Just wondering if you feel you'd be able to tear this engine down and rebuild it in 5 or 10 years or if necessary.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Pat, another question...Can you paint it any color you want in the build school, or are they all the standard black and gold?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Scott,

Yes, I did feel that the school was worth the extra money. I don't know how much actual engine mechanical experience you have had, but these things are simple enough that you would be able to figure out most of the stuff you couldn't remember. The book they gave us to take home from the school was more of a power point presentation, so it would not be that much help with technical details. I haven't taken delivery of the actual engine yet (it is going to be test run tomorrow morning), but when I do I will get all of the technical manuals and let you know if any major documentation is missing.

WV,

There really would not be any time to paint the engine during the course of the build school, but you definitely can order it with the case and some other parts painted - for extra cost of course. Check the 'build an engine online' link I referenced earlier - you can even see a color picture of what the engine would look like with the paint!

Pat
RV-8
Flying - 950 hours!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I see going through the online selection and pricing thing you pay $1000 more for you to build it in their class as opposed to $0 to have them build it for you.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That is correct Bill. They do charge $1000 for the "class". Pat knows...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

But the knowlege you get for a $1000.00 will probably save you in the long run on this engine and any other engine you happen across. Having slogged through my own build I spent time that could have been very well spent on my plane but didn't and now am way behind. Why, some of you are even catching up with me! :) I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Last edited by jim_geo on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Chad, yes... it is scheduled to be AT Mattituck.

It is free, but I don't think it is as in depth as the Superior one. That is OK with me, as I don't expect to become an engine tech overnight anyways.

Buuuuuut... they DO FEED YOU at the Mattituck one, and that goes a long way in my book!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

4kilo
RB's First

Food

Post by 4kilo »

CJ,

Superior took us out to a great local place for lunch on the first day, then catered pretty good sandwiches the second day, then great barbeque on the last day.

Just 'food' for thought,

Pat
RV-8
Flying - 950 hours!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... I do like food!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

captain_john wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmm... I do like food!

:mrgreen: CJ
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I like the idea of the build but it doesn't have some of the options I'm interested in - most notably Pmags ....

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Guys -

I attended one of the Mattituck sessions last year and it was WELL WORTH the time to go out and learn what the heck all these parts do and how they go together! I will say it was pretty basic for a few people in the class but it was PERFECT for me!

We put a 360 together in two days but didn't run it. The engine we all worked on was for mock up and tear down only. We started the weekend with two HUGE tables full of parts and finished with a fully completed engine on the stand. We did run another engine in the test cell to see what that was about which was cool as well.

I would recommend it to ANYONE that really wants to gain a basic knowledge of aircraft engines from the crankshaft on out!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

CJ, what are the dates on the school? Sounds interesting.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee