Building your own engine ?

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.

Building your own engine ?

Post by Guest »

Hello, Im curious as to how many people who are building their RV's are actually taking on building their own engine also. With the new XP-360 kits and such this seems to be a valid option that is getting some support in the community. Im wondering how many here have gone down this road and if they would do it again?

g_e_young
Class E

Post by g_e_young »

That's a good questions! Also, I'd like to know:

a: How hard is it to build an engine?
b: How confident can you be that it is done perfectly?
c: How much money fo you actually save?

thx.......

ScottD
Class G

Post by ScottD »

I plan to.

I bought a used O-320-E3D that I plan to overhaul myself. I will send the necessary parts off for reconditioning, etc, and then I will do the assembly. Personally it does not bother me at all. I got the DVD from Skyward Tech on an O-320 rebuild just for the heck of it to watch one. I also most importantly have a lycoming overhaul manual. Really all you need is a few specialty tools like cylinder wrenches and a good torque wrench. An air cooled aircraft engine is about as basic and simple as they come.

I spend more time wondering if I should go 8.5:1 or 9:1? I see that LOTS of people run 9:1 and even higher.

Scott DellAngelo
Plainfield, IL
#90598 Fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Engine building ...

Post by Spike »

Interesting Scott. My motorcycle is an air / oil cooled boxer as well and Ive become quite comfortable performing maintenance on it. Do you plan on having an A&P or anyone look over your shoulder while you do this or do you feel comfortable enough just to do it and not look back ?

-- John

Post by Guest »

Not really planning it. I do know an A&P/IA that has last seen my project around the time of empennage completion (I used to live by him and was on his "walking route" so he saw it all the time). When I just saw him the other day he indicated that he would like to come by and see it now. I will hit him up probably as to his interest in overseeing the engine build, but if the schedule does not work out then no I won't look back. I will definitely have someone with me as a double check that nothing gets missed.

The engines are just SO simple. Put a seal on the crank, lube/assemble/torque the connecting rods on. Stick the bearingless cam in the case. Line up the bearings and bolt the case together (after running the threads around it). Check end play. There is the bottom end. Put pistons on the rods, check rings in the cylinders, then put them on the pistons. Use a ring compressor and bolt on the cylinders. Line up the accessory gears so the dots match, bolt on oil pump and a couple other parts and bolt on the accessory case and it's built. There is more to it than that, but not a whole lot.

Scott DellAngelo
#90598 Fuselage

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I built up the Superior SL-O360. My kit was in Oklahoma and I had relocated to CA. Flew over on a Thurs evening. Worked Friday and Saturday and had a completed engine. I put in the high compression pistons otherwise a standard 360. Tips: get a parts and overhaul manual, Superior does not provide manuals. buy a overhaul video, helps with the little details. I had a friend help me and a few show up to try and supervise. I love the engine, it is balanced better than anything I have ever flown behind. Just remember, if you use high compression pistons you can not use auto gas.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Did you have any prior experience ?

-- John

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I'm not an A&P, just grew up working on engines and equipment. The engines are very simple. The main thing is to take your time. Get the video tape and watch it a few time prior to starting. Go to an EAA meeting or two and find some people who have worked on engines and ask if they can come over and help out. Trust me, they will love to work on a brand new engine!! I have never worked on an engine all day long and never gotten dirty!! I guess I am saying, be sure what you are getting into, have the proper tools, a stable engine stand, take your time, and don't let it scare you. Don't be afraid to ask for help, it's out there you just need to ask.

talewinds
Class G

building your engine

Post by talewinds »

I just found a forum dealing with the XP-360. After a fair amount of research and looking around, this is the engine I've decided on for my -6A. The forum is XP-360forum@yahoogroups.com. Some interesting stuff there.
Dave

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome tailwinds!! Glad your with us :thumbsup: What kind of configuration are you going to put on your 360? Mags? prop? injection? Inquiring minds want to know.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

talewinds
Class G

XP-360

Post by talewinds »

I'm planning to keep it simple. Just a carb and mags. Thinking of a ground adjustable composite prop. I have no experience with such a prop...any advice on it?

Airplane will be VFR...Dynon with steam backups. No vacuum system, just airspeed, altimeter, and electric turn and bank. One installed radio with handheld for backup. Handheld GPS for nav. I'm a retired airline type...don't HAVE to get anywhere.
Dave

Aerobat232
Class G

Post by Aerobat232 »

:?: Anyone know the price for SL-360 kit???

Couldn't find it on the website anywhere.

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I'm not sure if they market the "SL" 360 any more. I think they have settled into the "XP". When I bought my SL-O360 it was the kit and a pre-built engine was labled the XL. Now I think you can purchase the XL either pre-built or take the option of building yourself. It is the same engine either way.

I have about 110 hours on the engine with no problems what so ever other than haveing to re-tourque most bolts. I went with a simple conventional setup; carberator, mags, constant speed prop. The only option I choose was to place high compression pistons in her. I dino-ed out right at 195 HP, but now I am limited to 100LL for sure.

If your going to build your own engine and have not rebuilt a lycoming before, buy the lycoming manuals, parts manual too. Superior does not produce maintenance or overhaul manuels. They told me every part of the engine is PMA'ed for a lycoming, it's a lycoming replacement. There are a few areas where you really need to look into the parts manual to "see" just where a certin part goes.

The engine is well balanced and runs smoother than any other 4 cyl engine I have flown behind. Everyone who rides with me in my 6 comments on how smooth it runs.

I have not checked into any of the other options out there now, so have fun. If you decide to build your engine, you will have a blast.
Golf Delta

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

Oops, I forgot to answer your question. I paid $19K for mine but as with every other investment I have ever made, the price was dropped shortly after I completed my engine. I think you can get one for around $17 to $18K. Not much different than a new Lyc, but many Lyc's use Superior part when it's time to replace. Also, the Superior engine has better lube and jugs.
Golf Delta

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I'm really on a roll here, forgot to mention. Go to their web page and you can price out an engine configured just the way you want. After reviewing the site it looks like the "home build" option is no longer available. You would have to go to their facility and build it up with their assistance. Not a bad option, although they charge more for that option???
Golf Delta

Aerobat232
Class G

Post by Aerobat232 »

I did check out the website and on one part they list the build options and there are 4 listed, with the forth being the build it yourself kit. But like you said, when you go to price an engine they only have the options the 3 options, and none for the kit. I'll try to email them and see if they still plan on offering this and hopefully have them quote a price. :dunno: