angle valve IO-360 question

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
gsimatos
Class E

angle valve IO-360 question

Post by gsimatos »

I am building an RV7A and I have a chance at an angle valve IO 360 engine. I had initially considered 320 0r 360 with carb but this engine presented itself. I have the cowl and mount for the o-360. Anyone know if the IO-360 angle valve engine will fit those cowls and mounts??
Thanks Gary

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

The mount is same between O-360 and IO-360.

The cowl depends. if your cowl is set up with the scoop for a carb or vertical FI, it will not work for the forward facing FI of the angle IO-360.

or at least that's how I understand it. :dunno:
Brian
Townsend, MT

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Brian, Thanks for the info. I have the option to do forward or rear fuel injection so I may be looking at cowl problem. Will see Thanks again G

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I'm on the hunt for a IO-360(cowl not a problem) so if you aren't using te angle valve IO-360 I'd be interested.

I know where there is a brand new O-360, that I've heard can be had reasonably...i just don't want to change the sump.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Double check that mount...some of the angle valve engines take the Dyna II mount, not Dyna I. There is a difference between IO-360 angle valve engines, and IO-360 parallel valve engines. Call Van's with the suffix of the engine, and they'll be able to tell you.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

learn somethin' everyday, Thanks Chad
Brian
Townsend, MT

James Ball
Class G

Post by James Ball »

Engine Components, Inc. ( San Antonio, TX ) is now manufacturing new angle valve cylinders for the 200 HP 360 engines ( and some 540's ). They are lightened and have some uinque options.
Jim Ball

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

thanks for more info....unfortunately for me, our money tree was chopped down and used for firewood. :mrgreen: so will most likely look for a rebuilder core.
Brian
Townsend, MT

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Thanks everybody. I see the angle valve engine is perhaps a challenge so I will get the numbers and see what the folks at Van's can tell me. I am inclined to try to make it work. I believe these have been used frequently in the RV7s just a question how much extra fanagilling to make it work. Thanks for all your comments G

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary,

I am planning IO-390 and when I told Barbara at Vans this, she told me that I need the IO-360 A1B6 cowling because it is wider!

She said that is the difference in the cowlings. Now, I think the physical dims are pretty close, perhaps it is for cooling?

I dunno...

Just for what it's worth. Hope this helps!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

CJ Yeah thats what I found out also. Gonna have to exchange my existing cowl for the wider one. Not a deal breaker, Thanks for checking it out. Still sometimes feel the completion date may still be 10 years of, oh well will keep pounding, Cheers Gary

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary,

I am glad that I ordered the wider cowl now. It leaves me open to other engine options whereas if it were the other way around I would be in your boat too!

I guess that the moral of this story is, if you don't know which engine you are going to get and you HAFTA buy the cowl, get the one for the A1B6 and it will fit all!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I just now saw your follow up. Yep I am looking a the wider cowl. Going to try to get down to Vans and see if I can do an exchange. Thanks everybody for your info. Happy 4th of July tomorrow Cheers G

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I ordered the large cowl and am happy with it. I have a I/O 360 parallel valve engine with the forward facing sump and use a snorkel for air induction. The only thing I have found with the large cowl covering the smaller engine, you have more air flow which results in a cooler running engine. In the winter here in Washington State, I have a hard time getting the engine temp above 180 deg F. Besides, The slick cowl looks great!

Dan A