Engine cleaning

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
jwyatt
Class G

Engine cleaning

Post by jwyatt »

Despite all attempts to keep it contained, the sanding/shaping process of the cowling install has left my shiny engine covered in fiberglass powder. Blowing it off with the air hose helped, but didn't completely remove it.

Assuming all the holes, ports, etc are covered or plugged, is there any reason I shouldn't, once the weather warms up, roll this thing out into the driveway and hose it down FWF with water to remove the remaining dust? Tie a plastic bag around the Pmags? It surely gets soaked flying in the rain...

I've washed down plenty of auto engines this way, and with more vigorous sprayers and chemicals-in-a-can, with no ill effect...but somehow I hesitate with the plane. Perhaps because that engine cost more than all 3 of our cars combined...
Joshua Wyatt | Vasa, Minn.
RV-9A N627DW @ KRGK
Flying: Phase I complete
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

At the FBO where I used to work, they would routinely wash down engines with water after taking the necessary precautions to cover things up. They usually sprayed it with Simple Green, then hot water rinse.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com