engine quality aftermarket versus Lycoming

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

I just did the ECI Cylinder AD replacement for all 4 of my cylinders. ECI was very good about it. It cost me the return shipping for the old cylinders, but that is all.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paullie, you haven't even run that engine!

I thought they wanted you to have like 300 hours on them before they swapped them out?

BTW, how is your progress? How about some pics?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

It is a zero time engine so they replaced them at no cost.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paullie,

I thought they wanted you to actually run the engine before they swapped them out.

BTW, how is your progress? How about some pics?

RV-7

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

CJ,

I'll get some pics one of these days. Moving along slowly. If it were not zero time engine they may have wanted to go to the 300 hours, but since it was zero time, it should start out with non-AD parts.

Paul
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gotcha!

Just found the bulliten.

http://www.eci.aero/pdf/08-1.pdf

Here it is for all others to see.

8) CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Guys, my engine hunt continues. Was at the Aerosport Power folks yesterday, saw about 6 engines I wanted to put into the trunk of the car. Again too many choices but did encounter an issue perhaps you can help me with. Oil filter has two potential positions: inline extending toward the firewall or with an adapter 90 degrees to the crankshaft. The inline arrangement struck me as though it might be pretty close to the firewall. Any ideas??? while Im at it what do you think about the roller lifters versus the old conventional lifters?? Thanks Gary

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

On my RV-6A the oil filter went straight back and it was not a problem. I had an O-320 E 160 HP. The way the fuel pump set below the oil filter there may have been a length problem if I had a 90 Degree adapter. Either way changing the oil filter is the pits :bang: I had a friend who had a filter drain assist that made it a little easier if you were careful. It was made of aluminum and was about 1/3 of an oil filter with a drain hole at the back and the front was wide hope with a hole on each side that you could support it on the oil filter with safety wire. You unscrewed the filter until oil started coming out, which then ran to the drain hole which we had plastic tube running to the oil drain can. Patience and care was needed or you still got the mess all oaver :bang:

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

so inline placement sounds like the way to go. I have a cessna 170 now with a seized oil drain plug so I have to pull the oil strainer out of the back of the accessory case to change the oil which usually ends up running right up my sleeve so I can sympathize. Back to business anyone have experience with the Andair pump for fuel injection??

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, here is a pic of my angled oil filter adapter:

I like it because it will drain the oil back into the crankcase before I pull the filter. It also gives me much more space behind the engine for my G3i ignition modules and with it pointing upward, uses no additional space.

I like the setup ALOT. I think B and C Specialties sells them too.

As far as the lifters go... I chose ECi with the chrome cylinders instead of Superior with the roller lifters because I felt that more corrosion would be likely within the cylinders than to have lifter spalling and crankshaft wear.

I know that you can get both, but I just didn't want a "hybrid" of sorts and the chrome cylinders won out in my mind.

Does this help?

RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OH! yah... and about the Andair pump...

I like mine!

It wasn't without hiccups though. There was a run of pumps under scrutiny for having an o-ring become unseated, if you will. This caused the pump to not move liquid. As luck would have it, I had one of those. So did Bruce Swayze.

We got new pumps and all is well again.

The old generation of pumps are long gone and all the ones they are selling now are the new ones.

Sure, I would buy another one. It makes for a nice and clean installation!

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Thanks you guys. You have convinced me the injection is the way to go and the ECI engine with improved cylinders is topping my list. The oil filter issue is not something I need to decide right now tho CJ your points regarding the 90 degree positionng, oil draining feature I also like. CJ I noticed you have set up your cowl attach with something other than the piano wire system---Camlocks maybe?? There are several RVs and other experimentals here at my airport and the piano attach seems to get mixed reviews. Seems to me that if I want to get under the cowl I don't want anything slowing me down, I was also going to consider something other than the piano wire system when I get that far. The engine is a big issue and it is good to have you all to bounce these things off of as we are all asking ourselves many of the same questions. Imagine being in Austrailia with no internet trying to get your brain around some of these issues. Of course our colleagues in OZ are in fact hooked up and very resourseful. The RBangers site really is a terrific resourse for everyone EH?? (as we say in CAnada). I think Im gonna write the big check, Cheers G

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool! Glad to be of assistance!

The top and bottom of my cowl will be held in place my Mil-Spec fasteners. Google them up but if you can't locate what I am talking about... chime in here again.

I chose to use the hinge pins on all the straight sections and Mil-Specs on the curved top and the hard to reach bottom.

The other reason for using the Mil-Specs on the bottom is because some people have reported losing hinge eyelets towards the exhaust pipes. The Six I am flying is culprit of that little trick.

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

I have a friend with a 7 who also had the eyelets break out on the bottom and changed them all out for a Camlock type arrangement which has been fine for over 3 years. Thanks again, Cheers Gary

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

About a year before I did the cowling on my RV-6A a number of people were having trouble with the hinges on the bottom of the cowl breaking eyelets. I looked at several RV's at Oshkosh that year and decided to rivet some aluminum strips on the fuselage where the cowl would overlap on each side of the exhaust pipes. I then put six or seven 10/32" plate nuts on each side. It worked out well but if I were doing it again I would use cam lock fasteners instead. I found we took the upper cowl off more often than the lower cowl but still cam lock fasteners or something similar would be better.

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

The order is in for injected O-360, pretty excited should be ready beginning of May. CJ regarding the Mil-Spec fasteners you are using on the cowl, would you know the part number for the ones you are using? I like the mounting strips you made to mount them, It looks pretty robust. I think I will try to do mine the same way. Did you mount the top ones under the stainless of the firewall,if you know what I mean?? That is how did you do the fuselage attach of the strips?? And again thanks for advice regarding your engine choices to all the troops.

Cheers G

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

G, Yes, I will mount them right under the steel flange of the firewall.

The thickness works out perfectly.

They are Milspecs. Call Jeremy at 407-595-7385 with your questions. He is very helpful. There is also a .pdf file online with some installation hints too.

I can give you more telephone numbers and a direct link to the .pdf document if you can't find it.

His web page is www.milspecproducts.com and I think there is a link there to everything you need.

Good luck with your engine!

You are getting into the fun stuff now!

Glad to be of assistance!

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

So its midnight and I get confused this time of day but the typical fuel injection is the Vertical lay out is that right?? As opposed to horizntal??

The vertical set up uses the scoop intake on the bottom cowl, Right?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Naw... FI can be both ways.

Mine is horizontal using the Superior cold air sump.

I have no scoop on the lower cowl, as the intake is up in the left cowling nostril.

Carbs are always with scoops on the lower cowl.

Does that help?

RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

This is how I am planning on holding my air filter in place:

It came out pretty good!

Happy Easter all!

RV-7