Prop Governor Location?

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
captain_john
Sparky

Prop Governor Location?

Post by captain_john »

Tell me, I know that the prop governor can be in different places depending upon airframe styles and demands.

Subsequently, I have noticed that engines have governor locations on the left front and rear of the IO-360.

The IO-390, which I am leaning towards currently (as far as I know) only has provisions for the left front mounting location according to the propaganda I picked up at OSH.

How does this bode for a typical RV installation? I thought that the RV airframe "preferred" the rear location. Is it "OK" to be in the left front location?

Anyone???

Secons question: What makes an Aerobatic engine, aerobatic? I expect fuel injection and inverted oil pick up to be on the list. Are there any other considerations?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Post by Guest »

According to Vans the front mount governor will fit in the RV-8 w/o modification. Except for the governor location, the rest of the engine is just like a 200 hp IO-360-AIB6. I believe the aerobatic configuration is the Christian system added onto the straight engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Soooo then...

The -7 shouldn't even be a problem because of the even wider cowl dimensions?

True?

:? CJ
RV-7

Post by Guest »

John,
I don't think it would be a width issue but rather a height issue. but I am not sure. I called Scott at Vans about the -8 and he told me their prototype/ demonstrator 8A had a front mounted gov engine installed and that it was close but worked ok and didn't t require any mods. Maybe a call to him would be best about the-7.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks Mahlon!

:roll: CJ
RV-7

TT

Post by TT »

Go front mount. Far less parts, no external plumbing, and less weight. Not a bad deal. Had an Arrow, and it was a pain in the posterior.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks, TT!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7