Lycoming Kits

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
Snap
Class D

Lycoming Kits

Post by Snap »

Now have you heard? You probably have. Lycoming is going to give us a Kit engine. This is the fix for everyone going to other engines? Now I just have to say. Not good enough! We want something else than the same old engine that we can already get from someone else and has made better through updates and research. (oil problems and roller rockers)

We want Diesel. You guys are paying $4.00 a gallon. We are paying about $1.50 -$2.00 per Lt depending on the market.

The thielert Centurion 1.7 burn Avtur and only 17lt and hour not 34-38. Twice the range and less hazard when refueling. (Its a flashpoint thing)

There has been a rumour that they have one in there somewhere. Lets put our collective hands up and say 'Now please Mr Lycoming!'
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hi Snap!

Yes... the ECi Engine!

Seems to me, they only sell them to A&P's or something like that.

They seem to want to have someone on the build that is experienced. Can't say that I blame them.

Wicked Stick just got back from Mattituck with his engine. He built it shoulder to shoulder with John and got the same experience, but in their facility... Which is probably better than my garage! Actually, I have been there and it is...

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Mahlon

Post by Mahlon »

FYI, the Lycoming parts based engine is only available from a select group, assembled, and it comes with a ROLLER cam and tappet assembly. Models available are O/IO-320, O/IO-360. IO-390. O/IO-540. We at Mattituck are proud to have been one of the engine shops chosen by Lycoming to participate in the program, which allows us to supply these Lycoming parts based engines to the experimental community.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

ndoetsch
Class G

Thielert Diesel engine

Post by ndoetsch »

I talked to Thielert yesday. Very interesting, they get a few enquiries every day on installing diesel engines on a RV airplanes. With the cost of avgas here in europe this is no suprise ($9 a gal). :cry:

As far as Thielert is concerned the ball is Van's aircrafts court.
Van's need to talk to Thielert.

The amout of flying I'm doing (around 120 h pa) would save me about $ 5500 every year. Also I flew a Cessna 172 with a Thielert Centurion power plant recently and that is really a relaxed uncomplicated operation.

Don't get me wrong I would love to install an Lycoming 360 but this type of engine is perhaps only in the US justifiable (avgas only $4) but not in Europe or for that matter not in South Africa or Australia.

Norbert

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I talked to Thielert a couple of years ago about their engine for my 8. They were not interested in puting their engine in my airplane. I guess they don't understand just how big the RV market is and how many engines they could have sold, and yet can sell, to the RV builders if they would just wake up and open the market to us!
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Dan,

I sent them an email too. Thielert DIDN'T EVEN RESPOND!

Personally, I am comfortable staying with a mainstream powerplant for the time being.

This way, I am sure not to be orphaned.

:roll: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

SNAP!! Good to see you buddy!

I talked with the Lycosour reps about this program at Oshkosh this year. They were very excited about it. Apparently as a previous member has said they only sell the kits to a very few engine shops who then must build it themselves. Its nice to know that they are getting in the game but I don't know if I am overly impressed with there methodology.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

All I wanna know is.....WHERE IS THEIR DIESEL?????????
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Personally, I am not too hip on oil burners.

Gelling in the winter.
Stinkie!!!
Noise, but noise is noise is noise. I suppose I don't like a diesel knock because it sounds like something is broken.

:roll: CJ
RV-7